Monday, November 29, 2010

'meaningful'

Everytime I hit a block, I disappear from the scene altogether. How I wish it was writer's block! But, I have realised, that anything not going my way saps me of my imagination, my will to push myself beyond the domestic humdrum and my discipline to carry forward my home, hearth and creative pursuits together.
That I have been told I want too much and that I am in daily contact with people who are content with the way things are was beginning to make me an ingrate. This girl who waited to be 18 to elope with her boy friend finds ecstasy in keeping house and waiting for the man to return. She takes pride in feeding her son and her husband and enjoys spending every free moment with them. She has found her bliss. *winks* at Shalini
Then, there is this girl, with two daughters the same age as my children, who is delighted the amway way. I see her delivering products, interacting with customers till sometimes nine in the night. She has a spring to her step and always a smile on her face. This is her bliss.
I have never seen her looking troubled, not even if the school bus is twenty minutes late. After all she has someplace to go, always. To tell people about the new amway ad. And, she is looking successful with each passing day.
The Story of Success. The title, by Malcolm Gladwell, called to me from afar, on a particularly low day three months ago. I read it to find, there really is no story 'of' success. There really is only the story 'to' success, story of determination, perseverance, opportunity and right attitude.
What tided these successful people through the long days and years in the dark tunnel before they saw the light way beyond was that they found their struggle, their days as the underdog, their troubles and trials "meaningful" and they persevered long and hard.
It is another thing, that in the book, success was when the seamstress' offspring becomes a lawyer or an immigrant offspring excels as a doctor. For me, there really is more to success than being a doctor or a lawyer (I am a lawyer, aren't I).
But, the spirit of overcoming unfavourable circumstances, adding dignity to their menial jobs with integrity and hard work and plodding along till they struck at the right opportunity strike a chord, even inspire.
There really is no true joy than to find one's life, one's daily grind "meaningful." There really is no better bliss than to take pride in oneself and the cards that life dealt you with. There is really nothing more to life but to do the best each day, underdog or best bet!

2 comments:

Shalini said...

So true...it's hard to focus on the thing that really makes us happy..which is often something insipid and overlooked. I struggle with this lately, when I do the same thing again and again...make tea, pick up paper, cut fruit, make food and so on.

Shilpa said...

ah! tell me about the tediousness of repetition. but, I am glad that being aware of our energy-sappers is half the battle won.